St Andrews Rochford
St Andrew's Church is a typical example of 13th/14th century stone construction, with an impressive 16th century brick tower, featuring diapering decoration, and with the Coat of Arms of the Earl of Ormonde, who was responsible for its construction. To the north is the vestry, a late 16th century brick addition. Outside, the Grade II listed grave of James Banyard - founder of The Peculiar People - can be found.
Approaching Rochford from the west, one passes The Lawn, nowadays a fine function suite, but originally a substantial house going back to the 18th century and beyond, possibly used as a gatehouse to Rochford Hall, a mile further ahead. This road, with two Grade II listed milestones still in place, was built in 1777 by the then owner of the Hall to dissuade travellers from the natural approach to Rochford running past his front door.
Reverend Kim Lepley
Warden Anne Hayes
Find us and contact us.